Thursday 21 November 2019

Why I've stopped purchasing fast fashion! Ft. Charity shop haul.


During university, I purchased a lot of clothes. Not even just some, more like 2-3 outfits a week, from online brands such as Missguided, PrettyLittleThing & Boohoo. Maybe Asos if I'd just received my student loan and wanted to splash out. It was hard to resist when 1) I wanted a new outfit for every time I went on a night out and 2) I had email updates for whenever there was 50% off sitewide. What I was completely ignorant and oblivious to, was the numerous problems with these sites and fast fashion in general.


Now whilst I'm no professional on all the ins and outs of fast fashion and it's ethical and sustainability issues (I'll attach interesting articles you should definitely give a read below) I'm aware that my obsessive purchasing of new, cheap and quick clothing was something that needed to come to a halt, or at the very least slow down. Reflecting on my purchases, I was never fully satisfied with the items I'd buy - the quality was crap and I'd wear it once until I got rid of it and purchased something else. So it was both something not benefitting me, or the planet.


So I've made a pact with myself to stop the buying, make use of what I have, reuse, repurpose, repair - and if I'm really wanting to shop, visit charity shops or shop ethical brands. (If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know!).

Regarding charity shops, I popped to a couple recently and wanted to share a few purchases - especially the amazing red knit sweat I found, perfect for winter! I've become a lot more open to the idea of charity shops, something I may have avoided before - but now I find it incredibly appealing that I can pick up things no one else has, that are quality items that will last a LOT longer. P.s excuse the wet hair look.










Hope you enjoyed this post! Here are a few articles below, and be sure to follow @styledsustainable @goodonyou_app @thesustainablefashionforum via Instagram.





https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/environment-costs-fast-fashion-pollution-waste-sustainability-a8139386.html

https://www.thegoodtrade.com/features/what-is-fast-fashion

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/fast-fashion-sustainable-charity-shops-landfill-parliament-environment-committee-a8655721.html








Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© chloe rebecca. Design by Fearne.